Guyana Defence Force (GDF) training programme

Image dated Friday, April 14, 2006 

GDF Officer Cadet Amar Rajcumar who was at the time undergoing training at Camp Stephenson, Timehri. Christopher Harmon, 29, of 309 Parfait/Harmonie, West Bank Demerara and Kurt Trotman, 30, of 541 Section A, Block 10, South Sophia were charged with murdering the soldier. Reports were that Rajcumar who had joined the GDF a mere nine days prior to his death, collapsed after a training session. A post-mortem examination later found among other things that he died from a blow to the head.

Monday, October 22, 2007


Police continuing probe into Officer Cadet murder
THE Police are continuing their investigations into the murder of Officer Cadet Amar Rajcumar while on a Guyana Defence Force (GDF) training programme.

This was confirmed yesterday by Police Public Relations Officer Mr. Ivelaw Whittaker who said that when the probe is completed, the file will be sent to the office of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for advice.

Rajcumar, 21, was pronounced dead at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation on April 11 and a post mortem examination revealed that his death was as a result of a severe blow to the head. He was cremated with full military rites earlier this week.

The Army set up a Board of Inquiry to investigate the death and on Tuesday, GDF spokesman Lt. Col. Claude Fraser said it has been completed and the matter handed over to the Police.

GDF Chief-of-Staff Brigadier Edward Collins, after the findings of the post that Rajcumar died from a blow to the head, told the Guyana Chronicle the autopsy “has shown clearly that he was murdered”.

“The GDF will do everything in its power to find the person or persons who were involved”, he said, adding, “we will pursue this relentlessly to the end until the perpetrators are brought to justice.”

Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, President Bharrat Jagdeo also vowed that those responsible for the young man’s death will face the full force of the law.

“I want to promise you we will get to the bottom of this and those responsible will be punished. This is the best we can do to give comfort at this time,” President Jagdeo last week told the family of the slain Officer Cadet.

GDF Spokesman, Lt. Col. Claude Fraser last week said the Standard Officers Course No. 39 has been “temporarily halted”.

Fraser also told this newspaper that the training officer was “removed” from the course and is “confined” at the Army base at Timehri.

The officer is still confined, the Guyana Chronicle understands.

After working in the private sector, Rajcumar, of Seafield, Leonora, West Coast Demerara, served as a Presidential Guard in the Guyana Police Force for two years.

However, because the Force failed to recommend him for the Standard Officers’ Course No. 39, even though he was qualified, he resigned recently and applied through the GDF.

The Standard Officers Course No. 39, commenced on April 3 with 35 students, including Rajcumar.

The course began with 27 persons from the GDF, four from the GPF, one from the Guyana Prison Service (GPS), one from the Guyana Fire Service (GFS) and two from the Belize Defence Force (BDF).

Rajcumar leaves to mourn his mother, father Lakeram Rajcumar, sister Parbatie and relatives and friends.

Guyana Chronicle dated Saturday, April 22, 2006