Another suspect charged for Cool Square killing

  By KNews

Another person was yesterday charged in connection with the robbery and murder of Canada-based Guyanese, Rawle Harding, who was killed while he sat with friends at Cool Square almost two weeks ago.

Dwaine Critchlow, 27, of Moffat Street, Vigilance, East Coast Demerara, was not required to plead to the indictable offence of murder, when the charge was read to him by Acting Chief Magistrate Melissa Robertson.
It was alleged that Critchlow, on March 3, at Georgetown, killed Rawle Harding. He was unrepresented by lawyer yesterday.
When asked by the magistrate if he had anything to say, Critchlow said that the police were framing him.
“From the 25 February I was at Bartica, because I does do mining there. They (police) giving me things I ain’t know nothing about,” Critchlow told the magistrate.
The man further said in open court that various persons at Bartica gave the police statements supporting his story, but the police appear to refuse to verify the statements. Critchlow said that he was placed on an identification parade and only one of the three witnesses picked him out.
“Why me? Why me, meh worship? Is only because I ain’t got money, because de other boy who dey hold pay dem police and he ain’t get picked out,” Critchlow said.
He further alleged that when he was arrested he had over $70,000 in cash and a gold chain weighing more than 20 pennyweights when the police arrested him.
Police Prosecutor Stephen Telford said that the file would be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions for further advice.
The matter was adjourned to March 31; it was also transferred to Court Two for trial.
On Wednesday last, 19-year-old Junior Bourne was charged and remanded in connection with the murder.
Bourne, who was shaking uncontrollably, is also accused of killing Rawle Harding on March 3. His mother who was present in court screamed out in the courtroom as the charge was read to her son.
Bourne too accused the police of framing him. Bourne kept shouting “that the police are always picking up people’s children and wrongfully putting them in prison”. Bourne and Critchlow, according to the police, are the two persons that stormed into the bar and killed Harding.
The two men were detained by the police after they viewed images of the gunmen recorded on surveillance cameras at the popular West Ruimveldt nightspot.
Harding, his cousin and a friend were sitting at the bar having a drink when the two gunmen entered through the southern gate.
The surveillance tapes show that the bandits ordered two bottles of Mackeson stout and then sat drinking next to Harding and his friends.
One of the bandits looked across at Harding and noticed his jewellery and began whispering to his accomplice.
After getting up to ensure that the way was clear, the bandits drew their firearms and attacked Harding.
One of them then grabbed Harding, who had a broken leg, and it was during a scuffle that the Canada-based Guyanese was shot.
The bandits then stripped him of his jewellery, wallet and a cell phone.
After this, the bandits turned their attention to Harding’s cousin who had remained in the bar, and ordered him at gunpoint to take off his ring.
Not satisfied, one of the gunmen then jumped over the counter and grabbed money and phone cards from the cash register. Kaieteur News understands that two more charges are expected to be laid against Critchlow.
The charges stem from robbery under arms to abduction and aggravated assault. According to police sources, Critchlow is accused of holding a woman hostage in her Canje Berbice home. He managed to elude the police but he kept telephoning the woman, even to the point of informing her that he had eluded the cordon and was now in the city.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010